Monday, May 4, 2009

Emergency admittance to hospital

On 21 January 2009, I was admitted to hospital for emergency surgery after becoming seriously sick the weekend before (I weighed 36kg). The first operation was done on the 23rd of January 2009 to investigate the source of the increased infection. They found and removed massive infection in both the bone and soft tissue and afterwards it was uncertain if I would ever be able to sit again. During the second colostomy operation, there were a number of complications, the first of which required of them to do a laparotomy. They then discovered a severely constricted small intestine as well as a colon surrounded by growths caused by radiation damage. That explained why I became ill again in 2000 and had such problems with food and digestion. The second problem was that my lungs became filled with water.

After the operations I was in a coma and the doctors did not think I would make it. My mother however assured them that I was a fighter and would pull through. After 4 days I regained consciousness, but could not speak, breathe, eat or move on my own. I could also not remember anything from arriving at the hospital till waking up again. My family and friends however made turns to come and visit each day to support and give me the courage to believe I will get better. There were times during my month stay in ICU when it all felt hopeless, but my family and GP convinced me that the miracle already happened and that it is not my time to die: I just had to focus on staying emotionally and spiritually strong and to concentrate on strengthening my lungs. So I shifted my attention to consciously choosing life and to be grateful for every breath that enables one to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment